This is the whole Rata tree and there is another name for the Rata tree it is Pohutukawa.
Facts about the Rata tree:
- The Rata can grow up to 25 metres and the tree is 2.5 metre wide.
- Native birds such as the Tui, Bellbird and Kaka all benefit from the presence of Rata trees in the forest. (Metrosideros robusta) is one of New Zealand’s tallest flowering Plants
- These two Rata are amongst the best known of New Zealand trees because the northern rata is found in coastal to lower montane forests.
- People use the Rata tree as a christmas tree because it is tall, wide and it is the right size for a christmas parties.
- The Rata tree can stay alive over 1000 years. That will be the time when us human beings will not be alive.
- The pohutukawa tree has bigger leaves than the rata tree.